Thursday, October 1, 2009

respect and positions

as a manager of one of the promising food chain in the country, i am meeting a lot of managers with different kind of personality.

today, i met one manager who is asking to be respected simply because she is a manager.
i used to know this manager. way back in the past. so im used to call her by the first name.
one time i simply asked "where is tooooooooot?"
but one person actually heard me say that and told her that im not addressing her as mam.

whew. big issue.

when i said that statement, i am sure, 100% sure, that i don't have any malicious intentions of lambasting her name or her position. i mean, people! what is MAM or SIR or BOSS added to your name?? hays.

i am a leader as well. a teacher. and now a manager. but never in my entire life that people who do not address me as SIR or PROF or BOSS got me offended. I never use my position to gain respect to my subordinate. i believe it is more on being secure for who you are and for what you can do.

salutations does not make you a better person. it only makes the sound of your name pleasing to the ears. but how about the person? are you pleasing to the lives of your people?

be secure. do not be contented that people will address you sir or mam because you are in a position. I TELL YOU, it is sweeter to your ears if people will attach these salutations to your name out of their respect for who you really are. try it. its addictive.

No comments: