Thursday, November 6, 2008

love of reading

i love reading!

for me, reading is one powerful activity we all can indulge with and be amazed with the benefits that goes with it.

when i was young, i would read textbooks from cover to cover. i started reading comics when i was about 6 or 7 years old. I have a collection of funny comics and bata-batuta then. when i went to elementary, i started reading tagalog pocketbooks. it will take me one day during those times to finish a 50-page filipino romance novel. but as i continue reading, i found myself reading faster and eventually finished those novels within one seating! (approximately 45 mins)

that was the time i read those thicker one. They have about 130 pages for each novel. I can now read those novels for one hour and move to the next one. It was during those times that pocketbook series were introduced and i would sit down and read one story after another.

when i tell my friends that i used to read those corny tagalog romance novels, they would cringe at the idea of reading those nonsense love story. BUt then again, i give them credits for teaching me to read faster and understanding and enriching my tagalog vocabulary.

when i was in high school, my favorite reading materials are the nancy drew and hardy boys classics. I never read mills and boons coz they bore me to death. I also started reading sweet valley high during those times because my bestfriend was telling me about the novel. With the english novels that contain around 250 pages, it will take me 2-3 days during those times to read and finish them. oh well, people during those days are not so fond of talking in english and i attended a public school, so what do you expect?

my first encounter with those thick english novels was during college days. I was doing nothing during mu summer orientation program when i went to book sale and saw John Grisham's novel THE FIRM. That was the first thick english novel i read from cover to cover. It took me a week of sleepless nights (because i have to attend whole day classes) before i was able to finish the novel. That's why i fell in love with Grisham. Then i started reading Mary Higgins Clark, Cook, Crichton, Albom, Brown, etc..

the latest novel i read is The Kite Runner that made me cry everytime i read it. Now im starting Marquez.

I also love reading magazines. Im a regular reader of entrepreneur, men's health and yummy mags. When i go to coffeeshops, i flip pages of magazines hunting for interesting articles.

there was also a time i invested time in reading leadership books and some other spiritual books.

lately, im addicted to blogs.

im a person who loves to chat to people about life and things around us. A lot of times it will end up in nonsense chat but hey, its still conversation and one way or another im learning about the person im talking to. and with the blogs, i learn a lot!!

i was once a multiply addict. but then again i transfered to blogspot because multiply had evolved to photo blogs. i want to read real stories of people. i want to listen to their thoughts on life and on things around them. and more importantly, i want to learn from their experiences.

with blogs, i can explore the world while just sitting infront of my laptop.

some personal benefits i get from reading:
-- i learn a lot of things from simple to complicated.
-- i get inspiration from my readings
-- i get to relate to more people because of the things i read from the past
-- i meet intresting people through reading
-- i develop skills from reading like faster grasping of the thoughts, wide vocabulary, continous improvement of grammar and spelling, etc.. (i put there continous improvement because i know my grammar sucks and my words are often misspelled.)
-- and most importantly, im having fun. :)

so you guys out there.. READ!!!



there. done. moving on.

No comments: