Sunday, January 25, 2009

Food planning and preparation!

Adrenaline rush! That’s what I have every time I get myself involved with food planning and preparation! It is as if I have this hidden supply of redbull combined with cobra and extra joss somewhere in my body and running in my veins!

Last Friday night was all about food. I had a great grilled meal for dinner while watching Aga Muhlach and Claudine Baretto’s Kailangan Kita, which features famous spicy food of the Bicol region. After the movie time, I browse over my newly-bought Good Housekeeping Recipe Collection Vol. 6, grabbed a pen and paper and started planning a menu.

I created a scenario in my mind… Cater to 400 pax. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Goal is to create the lowest cost menu possible and at the same time healthy, delicious and newly-cooked food. Of course, when planning a catering day, I have to simulate everything from marketing, to food preparation, to packing and serving. I have to consider the time of the meal. 7am, 12nn and 6pm and meet them. You cannot delay a meal time, you wouldn’t love facing angry and hungry clients. The meal is composed of rice, one viand, vegetable, dessert and drinks.

I started at around 10pm thinking and planning. I browsed over my collection of food magazines (Yummy, Food, Appetite, F&B) and came up with set of menu for 3 meals. Believe me, I was awake until 4am and that is WITHOUT COFFEE help!!

One thing I realized, when it is your passion to do one thing, no matter how stressing the situation can be, you can actually do it without frowning and getting irritated and end up refreshed and with a smile. And the menu? stored in my laffytop, waiting to be served. J


No comments: